A delicious cinnamon sugar donut recipe.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons of cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup warm whole or 2% milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided, plus more for your rolling surface
- 1 1/4 ounces envelope active dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoon)
- 4 cups Vegetable oil
- Combine yeast, 1 tablespoon flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 2 tablespoons warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer*; let stand until yeast starts to foam, about 8 minutes.
- Whisk in egg yolks, whole egg, milk, salt, vanilla, 2 cups flour, and remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Mix on low speed with dough hook until combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add 6 tablespoons butter 1 piece at a time, mixing well between additions. (Any small lumps of butter will get worked into the dough when more flour is added.)
- Gradually add remaining 2 cups flour (you may not need all of it), mixing until mostly combined between additions, until dough is soft, smooth, and shiny—the dough will begin to pull away from the sides of bowl and climb up dough hook. That’s when you know it’s ready to go.
- *If you don’t have a stand mixer, you can get the same results by mixing the dough with a sturdy wooden spoon and kneading on a lightly floured surface.
- Knead and proof the dough:
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and knead, adding more flour as needed, until no longer sticky, about 5 minutes.
- As you knead, roll the dough into layers one over the other.
- Transfer to a buttered bowl, turn to coat, and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Cut the dough:
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface until 3/4″ thick. Using a floured donut cutter, cut out rounds of dough. Re-roll any scraps and cut again until you’ve used all of the dough. Roll the small scraps into doughnut holes.
- Transfer rounds of dough to a parchment-lined baking sheet and cover loosely with another kitchen towel. Let rise for 24 hours.
- If you are not ready to fry dough, refrigerate rounds up to 3 hours.
- Fry the dough:
- Fit a large heavy saucepan or dutch oven, with a thermometer; pour in vegetable oil to measure 4″ and heat over medium-high heat until thermometer registers 350°F. Working in batches, fry dough until golden, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a paper towel–lined baking sheet and let cool slightly before rolling in cinnamon sugar.
- Roll and finish
- Fill a plastic bag with sugar and cinnamon. add doughnuts to the bag and shake until each one is coated.
- Prep Time: 24 hours
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: American