A pretty easy butter pecan ice cream recipe. Silky smooth custard, with a great taste.
5 Happy Egg egg yolks
1 vanilla bean
3 cups of cream
½ cup + 1 tablespoon of sugar (I used Truvia Natural Sweetener, but you can use real sugar, or Erythritol replacement if you’d like. Make sure you adjust the sweetness to your liking).
2 tablespoons of butter
1 cup of pecans
- In a saucepan, heat your cream on medium heat. Continue to stir so that the milk doesn’t scorch.
- Split your vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds. Add the seeds to your cream as it simmers. Also, throw the vanilla bean in to get some extra flavor out of it. Add your sugar and stir it in to your cream until it dissolves.
- When the cream starts steaming, turn the heat down to low, and begin adding your egg yolks one at a time, whisking them vigorously as you go.
- Seriously, whisk away because you don’t want to cook your egg yolks! Whisking them helps them to dissolve into the cream. This is called tempering.
- Cook until your custard mixture reaches 165 degrees. Another way to check is to coat the back of a spoon and run your finger across (careful, it’s hot!). If you can run your finger across and there’s a clear line on the back of your spoon, you’re golden. Custard that isn’t ready, will drip.
- To make your buttered pecans, throw some butter, 1 tablespoon of sugar and pecans together into a saucepan, and cook until the butter browns and the pecans are fragrant, about 5 minutes. No kidding, it’s that simple.
- Then, strain your custard mixture, add the buttered pecans and refrigerate it. You want it to be completely chilled before placing it in the freezer so you avoid ice crystals since we’re not churning this.
- Once it’s fully chilled, stir the mixture, and then put it into a freezer-safe dish for 2-3 hours. Let it thaw for a few minutes before scooping. You can also microwave (if using a microwave safe dish) it for 30-45 seconds or so to soften it.
- This ice cream does harden quite a bit, but has an incredible texture when it’s thawed. You’ll need some thaw time before scooping.
- The sweetener is your choice. I used Truvia for this one, but anything you have on hand will do.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Freezing
Keywords: butter pecan ice cream