A caramel recipe that has no glycemic impact and tastes like the real thing.
- In a saucepan on medium-high heat, add your allulose to the pan.
- Watch for the allulose to start to bubble up on the sides When you see it turn clear, you can start to pull the clear edges to the center using a heat resistant spatula. Here’s an example of what it will start to look like around the edges.
- The allulose is going to turn completely clear, bubble up and look like water in the pan as it cooks Continue to stir it until it turns a light golden brown color. This happens in about 5 minutes. It’s very fast so keep watching it.
- Turn off your burner, and add in your butter. Stir constantly until the butter is completely incorporated.
- Add your cream in to the mixture and stir again until it’s incorporated.
- Add your vanilla to the mix, it’s going to bubble up once more.
- Pour the mixture into a heat-safe container and let it come to room temperature.
- Sprinkle sea salt on top.
- This caramel will thicken as it cools to room temperature, if you find that it’s too thin for you, add 1/8 teaspoon of xanthan gum. A little goes a long way in this recipe.
- Make sure to cool it to room temp before sticking it in the fridge. It will ensure that no moisture forms inside.
- This mixture can be refrigerated for up to 7 days. It can also freeze, and stay soft when used in dairy.
- Keep in mind that when you cool it to fridge temp, it will turn the consistency of play dough (soft caramels for the win!). You can get it back to a saucy consistency by microwaving it in a heat safe container for 30 seconds. Be sure to stir it before use.
- The amount of salt you use is up to you. I personally don’t like things too salty, so the salted butter is enough for me. If you want plain caramel, leave the salt out and use unsalted butter.
- Prep Time: 1 minute
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 ounce
- Calories: 76
- Sugar: 0.2 g
- Sodium: 2.8 mg
- Fat: 8.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 0.3 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0.3 g
- Cholesterol: 23.5 mg
Keywords: Caramel, Keto caramel, Salted caramel, Keto salted caramel.