A fresh lemon bread at only 4g net carbs.
For the cake
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- ¾ cup of swerve or allulose
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 4 eggs + 1 yolk
- 4 oz full-fat cream cheese room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 4 teaspoon of lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon of poppy seeds
- zest of half lemon for the batter
For the Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a microplaner, or grater, zest 1 lemon.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer or stand mixer blend on high the butter with the sugar substitute until the mixture is light and fluffy and well incorporated (about 5 minutes).
- Next add the room temperature cream cheese, vanilla extract and lemon extract. Then mix well.
- Add the eggs one at a time making sure to mix well after each addition.
- In a bowl combine your almond flour, baking powder, salt.
- Add your dry ingredients: the almond flour, baking powder, salt and mix well until batter is fully combined.
- With a spatua, fold in your lemon zest.
- (optional step) fold and add in your poppy seeds.
- In a well-greased 8 inch cake pan or 8 inch loaf pan bake 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown on top. The cake is done once an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool and make your frosting.
For the frosting:
- Store these wrapped in wax paper and in a ziplock bag. It can be refridgerated for 7 days. You can also freeze it for up to a month.
- If you check your bread and it’s looking too brown on the outside, cover it with foil while it bakes through to reduce the chance of the top burning.
- My oven took about 40 minutes to bake the bread all the way through without drying it. Watch the timer in case your oven doesn’t run at accurate temps.
- If you want to add fresh lemon juice you may. It will work best in the batter and in the frosting. Try adding a teaspoon at a time to see how you like the taste. This will change the macros of the bread!
- The frosting is lemon extract, cream cheese and sweetener. I love a strong cream cheese flavor, but if you want to cut it a little bit, use a 1/4 cup of butter mixed with the other ingredients to make a more mild and buttery cream cheese frosting.
- Category: Keto
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: Keto bread, Keto Lemon Poppy Seed Bread, Lemon Bread, lemon dessert