Delicious and creamy cauliflower grits.
- 4 slices of bacon + the reserved bacon oil
- One head of cauliflower
- one teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- half teaspoon salt
- quarter cup of Louisiana hot sauce
- one tablespoon of ground flax plus 3 tablespoons of water
- 2 and 1/4 cups whole milk
- cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar
- a quarter cup of chopped green onion
- On high heat start by frying your four slices of bacon until brown and crisp. remove bacon from pan and drain on a paper towel oh, leave the bacon oil in the pan.
- Prep your head of cauliflower. take half of your cauliflower, and add it to a blender. Puree this mixture until it looks thick and liquidy.
- Add the other half of your cauliflower to your blender or food processor, and pulse it until the rest of the pieces are rice-like. Mix the two together and you should have a cauliflower puree with some texture. if it looks thick and textured (almost a little lumpy), you’re on the right track.
- Turn off your burner
- Carefully add your cauliflower to the bacon oil and stir. You’ll turn off the burner for these next few steps, so that you don’t overcook or burn your cauliflower.
- Add in your granulated garlic, cayenne pepper, salt, hot sauce, ground flax and water.
- Give your mixture a stir and turn on your burner to low heat.
- Add your whole milk a half cup at a time while continuing to stir.
- Continue to stir as the ingredients come together. You should see it thicken just a bit.
- Add in your sharp cheddar cheese, and stir until the cheese has completely melted in.
- Chop your bacon, and green onion to sprinkle on top of the mixture.
- If you want fewer carbs from the dairy feel free to sub for half and half. I wouldn’t go for full heavy cream, only because it will make the mixture too tight.
- You could also use unsweetened almond milk as your liquid, you may just need to add less, since it’s not as thick as whole milk.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American Southern
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 271
- Sugar: 7.8g
- Sodium: 221mg
- Fat: 18.9g
- Carbohydrates: 13.7g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Protein: 13.4g
- Cholesterol: 43.3mg
Keywords: low carb grits, low carb cauliflower grits, grits, cauliflower grits