Easy homemade jelly doughnuts.
- 1 packet dry active yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 2 cups of strawberry jelly
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon flavored vodka
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil + more for frying
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Confectioner’s sugar, or sugar substitute for sprinkling over the top.
- In a gallon-sized plastic bag, add the yeast, warm water (heated to around 125-135 degrees), sugar, lemon vodka, lemon zest, Olive Oil, egg and flour.
- Zip bag and mix ingredients well.
- Place bag in another bag, and then into a bowl of very warm water for 1 hour.
- Remove dough from the bag and onto heavily a floured surface. The dough should be sticky, which means you’re on the right track!
- Roll out the dough to 1/2 inch (1 cm) thickness. Make sure both sides of the dough are floured, so it doesn’t stick to the surface. With a cookie cutter or drinking glass, cut 2-inch circles in the dough. When you are left with scraps of dough, roll it out again and cut more circles.
- Cover the cut-outs with a towel for 30 minutes. Fill a pan with 2 inches of olive oil. Heat oil to 350F/175C. Depending on your stove, the correct temperature will be around medium. You will know if it’s correct when you add the sufganiyot. The oil should bubble around the sufganiyot, but not a ton of bubbles. Fry the doughnuts for about 2-minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Remove and place on cooling rack or plate with parchment.
- With a squeeze tube or piping bag, add your favorite jelly or jam to the doughnuts. Just make sure the jelly/jam isn’t too chunky to squeeze through whatever you’re using.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, and enjoy.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Pastries
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Pastry