A pretty easy, hands off short rib ragu that makes for a nice, rich pairing with pasta.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 2.25 pounds of bone in beef short ribs
- 1.5 cups of yellow onion (or 1 yellow onion), diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 14 ounces high quality tomato sauce (sub for 2 tablespoons tomato paste)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 2 teaspoons mushroom powder or Trader Joe’s Umami Seasoning
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a dutch oven.
- Turn your stove to high heat.
- Season your bone-in beef short ribs on all sides with salt.
- Add your short ribs to your dutch oven, or pot. Be sure not to crowd the pan, you may need to work in batches. Sear your short ribs on all sides, and remove them from the pot to sit on a plate or cutting board. Set these aside.
- Turn down your stove to medium heat, and add in your diced yellow onion, and stir continually for about 15 minutes until golden and fragrant. The onions should look translucent, and slightly golden.
- Add your minced garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle over 1 tbsp of flour. Stir continuously to keep the flour from burning.
- When the flour turns a very light golden brown, deglaze your pan with red wine and stir to remove the fond from the bottom of the pot.
- Add your short ribs back to the pot, and cover with beef broth.
- Add tomato sauce, thyme, bay leaf and umami seasoning.
- Turn your stove to medium low heat, and cover.
- Simmer your short ribs for 3-4 hours, or until fork tender.
- Remove the bones, thyme and bay leaf from the pot.
- Serve with pasta of your choice. We used pappardelle pasta, with Parmigiano Reggiano grated over top.
- You need a deep pot to make this recipe, I recommend at least a 4qt dutch oven for the volume of this recipe.
- The Trader Joe’s Umami Seasoning is an optional ingredient. I think it takes some of the acidity out of your pasta sauce, and makes create more of a savory flavor. Ground mushroom powder also works here.
- Nutrition information here is without the pasta.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 Hours
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Braising
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 437
- Sugar: 3.2g
- Sodium: 1027.6 mg
- Fat: 24.8g
- Carbohydrates: 10.1g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 30g
- Cholesterol: 94.9mg