Just like your favorite apple pie!
- A couple of days ahead, you’ll want to make my keto-friendly pie crust recipe. It’s carb-conscious and buttery! Plus, it will make a great base for your crumble. If you don’t care about the carbs, roll a store-bought crust flat and sprinkle Truvia on top. Brush it with egg wash, and bake it until golden brown.
- Then, crumble it into little pieces for the layers of your trifle.
- In a sauce pan, you’ll mix together Truvia Natural Sweetener, butter, cinnamon and xanthan gum along with your cubed apples. If you don’t have xanthan gum on hand, you can substitute in a small amount of corn starch (again, if you don’t care about the carbs). Let the apples cook until they’re soft but still have a little bit of a bite to them. You’ll notice the sauce will thicken.
- While that’s cooking, make your butterscotch pudding according to the recipe directions. To save some carbs, I make my pudding with heavy cream thinned out by water a tablespoon at a time. Set this aside.
- You can choose to make your own whipped cream by whipping heavy cream with a stand mixer or hand mixer until it becomes fluffy. For the sake of ease, store bought is perfectly okay especially when you are baking last minute.
- Then, have some fun as you assemble! I did my layers as crumble, pudding, cream, apples, crumble, and then repeat until the ingredients are all done. I topped it with whipped cream, pecans, apples and a few more crumbles, then serve and enjoy! You can also make mini portable versions of this trifle by layering the ingredients into smaller serving size glasses.
This entire recipe can be done pretty quickly with store-bought ingredients. Don’t feel like you have to scratch make everything (although it’s worth it!)
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple pie trifle