Do greek at home with this easy-to-make Gyro from the 12-Week Diabetes Cookbook.
- 1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin
- 1 cup red wine
- 5 teaspoons lemon juice (divided)
- 6 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup peeled seeded and diced cucumber
- 1 cup plain, non-fat greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
- 4 , 6-in whole wheat pita breads
- 1 cup diced, fresh tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- Remove visible fat from meat and cut into strips about 2 inches long and half inch wide.
- Mix the red wine, lemon juice, garlic, and oregano together in a bowl or self-seal plastic bag. Add the meat and marinate for 10 minutes will prepping other steps.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Remove the meat from the marinade and saute the meat so that it is brown on all sides and medium doneness. Stick in the oven for 25 minutes at 350.
- Mix cucumber, yogurt, remaining garlic, dill and lemon juice together to make the tzatziki sauce. Set Aside
- Warm the pita in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Assemble your pita with tzatziki sauce on the bottom then fresh tomatoes, cucumbers,lettuce and pork.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Greek
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 507
- Sugar: 13.6 g
- Sodium: 636.1 mg
- Fat: 13.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 51.1 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 46.7 g
- Cholesterol: 115.4 mg
Keywords: Greek Gyro, Greek Gyro for Diabetes Diet, Gyro, Diabetes