This content contains affiliate links, which helps hangrywoman.com to provide free recipes and resources. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support of the blog.
As a note to my readers: the AARP and American Diabetes Association gave me this product to try and compensated me for my review. All opinions from here forward are my own, and I only recommend products I truly believe in.
Last week I told you guys about the Let’s Be Well Box, and how I’ve been using the tools in the box.
One of my favorite items in the box is the 12-Week Diabetes Cookbook. You guys know I have an obsession, and a library full of books dedicated to learning how to cook good meals. I was so excited to be able to add this book to my collection – especially when it comes to making meals that are good for my blood sugar.
As someone with Type-2 diabetes, I’m always very conscious about my carbohydrate intake. I’m usually looking for foods with a low glycemic index, or that are packed with complex carbohydrates if I do have something that’s a bit carb heavy.
I picked this recipe from the book for you all – it’s one of my favorites when we eat Greek food! I learned to make Gyros at home from the cookbook, and I hope you like the recipe, we sure did.
Don’t forget that this book is a part of the Let’s Be Well Box. You can get yours here.Print
Greek Gyro Sandwhich with Tzatziki Sauce
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 sandwhiches 1x
Do greek at home with this easy-to-make Gyro from the 12-Week Diabetes Cookbook.
- 1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin
- 1 cup red wine
- 5 teaspoons lemon juice (divided)
- 6 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup peeled seeded and diced cucumber
- 1 cup plain, non-fat greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
- 4 , 6-in whole wheat pita breads
- 1 cup diced, fresh tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- Remove visible fat from meat and cut into strips about 2 inches long and half inch wide.
- Mix the red wine, lemon juice, garlic, and oregano together in a bowl or self-seal plastic bag. Add the meat and marinate for 10 minutes will prepping other steps.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Remove the meat from the marinade and saute the meat so that it is brown on all sides and medium doneness. Stick in the oven for 25 minutes at 350.
- Mix cucumber, yogurt, remaining garlic, dill and lemon juice together to make the tzatziki sauce. Set Aside
- Warm the pita in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Assemble your pita with tzatziki sauce on the bottom then fresh tomatoes, cucumbers,lettuce and pork.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Greek
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 507
- Sugar: 13.6 g
- Sodium: 636.1 mg
- Fat: 13.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 51.1 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 46.7 g
- Cholesterol: 115.4 mg
Keywords: Greek Gyro, Greek Gyro for Diabetes Diet, Gyro, Diabetes
I use to live in Greece as a child, and my love for Greek food runs deep. I will have to give this recipe a try.
I love gyros and never thought to make them at home. Genius! Sounds delicious
Yesss! This gyro looks so good! I’ve always wondered how to make tzatziki, this recipe is super easy! Going to make this recipe this week for sure.
I love gyros and will have to try out this cookbook, as well.
The picture alone of the sandwich made me HANGRY. I’m late on the tzatziki sauce wagon I only tried it a few weeks ago and actually liked it.
Ate gyros all the time during my years in Chicago. Great recipe!
I am in love with gyros and I am loving this healthier option. Sounds like a cookbook I need to add to my collection as well.
I absolutely love Gyros! I especially love that this is a healthier version with no sacrifice on flavor!
My husband love gyros. I may see if he will try this. He needs some healthier options of what he loves.
Oh this is a must try! On the list for next week!!
I’m reading this before bed and you are making me hungry! This looks so good!
Oh I love Gyros, this version looks incredible!!
And they were SO easy to make at home! My husband loves Greek Food and he was surprised that I actually got it down haha!
Greek food is one of my all-time favorite foods! thanks for sharing!