There are certain snacks I miss when it comes to eating low carb, and carb counting. Rice crispies treats are one of them!
I’m personally very insulin resistant.
My body has trouble utilizing the insulin I do produce, and simple carbs like flour and sugar have an immediate effect on my blood sugar.
I ALWAYS spike. when I eat carbs.
Carbs are not all created equally, and they are not all bad. But I do find that I’m very sensitive to carbs, so I stay within a range of what I allow each day.
How I ended up making low carb rice krispies treats
My friends at HighKey snacks always send me goodies to try out. I’m absolutely obsessed with their snacks.
As soon as I opened the box and tried some, I was like “THESE TASTE LIKE RICE KRISPIES.” The idea wouldn’t leave my head.
I asked my husband if he was up for my experiment, and my mad science experiment was well worth it. These low carb rice krispies treats are awesome!
What about low carb marshmallows?
There are a few recipes out there if you want to make them yourself. They will melt, but they won’t brown unfortunately.
That doesn’t matter so much in a rice krispie recipes because you don’t see the marshmallows much.
Check out the recipe below! Let me know in the comments section if you give this a try. I’m curious about what you think!Print
Low carb rice krispies treats
A low carb version of the
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Diabetic
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Add Marshmallows and vanilla, then stir until the mixture has completely melted.
- Turn off your heat.
- Add HighKey Keto Protein Cereal to the pan. stir until the cereal is well-coated.
- Butter an 8×8 dish. Then, with a spatula, scoop out the mixture (into the dish, or you can also add a layer of wax paper to prevent sticking.
- Press the mixture into the pan until evenly distributed.
- Cut into squares, and enjoy!
- This recipe makes about 12 servings.
- I have not calculated macros for this recipe because the products you use can vary depending on whether you make your own low carb marshmallows, or you buy them. HighKey’s Keto Protein Cereal comes out to 0g net carbohydrates. It’s a great base for this recipe and keeps the carbs low.
- They’re best enjoyed the same day, but can be refrigerated for up to a week if wrapped in parchment or wax paper.
- If they are cold, let them come to room temp prior to enjoying them. They’ll be softer to eat, but still yummy and crunchy!