I think I’ve mentioned before that I’m a bad snacker.
I tend to fall for the trap of unhealthy, un-filling snacks, and most of the time it’s just because I don’t know what to make just to snack on, or I didn’t prepare well.
I did come up with a pretty fabulous snack this week that I think you’ll love.
I’m pretty fond of chickpeas.
I mostly love them in an amazing hummus I make every once in a while. I decided to change up my normal notions of mashed chickpeas and tahini, and turn my chickpeas into a crunchy, flavorful snack.
In walked these babies!
I love these crunchy chickpeas for a few reasons:
1) They’re super crunchy, who doesn’t love that in a snack?
2) They absorb flavors really well when they’re baked, and dried out a little
3) They’re so simple and as we all know, I am 100% about simplicity.
I’ve been eating them by themselves, but I imagine you could do something like: throw these babies into a salad to replace your croutons. That seems like a natural choice for me.
Check out the recipe below, and comment about what flavors you would add to your crunchy chickpeas!Print
- Chickpeas (Garbanzo beans) – 1 Can, 16 ounces
- Cinnamon – 1 teaspoon
- Kosher Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin – 1 teaspoon
- Ancho Chile Pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- First, open your can of chickpeas, and drain them. Get all of the juice out of that can! You can catch them with a sieve, or a strainer.
- Next, lay them out on a paper towel, and (GENTLY) pat them dry. Chickpeas are delicate creatures; so don’t pat them too hard. Be sure that they are completely dry, or you’re going to end up with some burnt, soggy chickpeas at the end of this.
- Lay them on some parchment paper, and a baking sheet. Coat them with a very light layer of olive oil.
- Rub them with the cinnamon, kosher salt, cumin, and ancho chile pepper.
- Pop them into your 400-degree oven, and let them bake for 30 minutes.
- Take one out, blow on it and test it! If it’s not exactly right, leave it in for 4-5 more minutes
- Let them cool to be warm, and enjoy your crunchy chickpeas all-warm, and flavorful!
- Once cooled, store these in an air-tight container at room temp for 2 weeks.
- Use on top of soups, salads, or grab as a snack.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Baked
- Diet: Vegetarian
- Serving Size: 2 ounce
- Calories: 54
- Sugar: 0.3 g
- Sodium: 313.6 mg
- Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.5 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: oven roasted chickpeas, crunchy chickpeas.