This content contains affiliate links, which helps hangrywoman.com to provide free recipes and resources. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support of the blog.
This recipe is a part of the Juneteenth cookout takeover. I encourage you to take a look at the full list of blogs with foodie inspiration from across the African Diaspora.
You can see the full list here.
Jamaican jerk chicken is a classic staple in my family.
It’s one of those dishes that I always had growing up, and it made me appreciate spicy foods.
I thought I would take my classic jerk marinade recipe, and apply it to one of my favorite foods: wings.
Wings are one of my favorites because they’re sharable, and versatile.
You can add just about flavor you want to wings, or cook a few different flavors to feed a crowd.
Jerk wings are amazing because they pack a powerful punch. You get that wonderful jerk flavor in a few little bites.
What’s in a jerk chicken marinade?
Jerk chicken marinades have a ton of spices – it’s not for the faint at heart.
But it is worth it.
My marinade includes soy sauce, avocado oil, kosher salt, dried allspice, dried thyme, green onions, garlic, scotch bonnet chiles (or jalapenos if you want to turn the spice down a bit), ginger, white onion, cinnamon, nutmeg, paprika, and browning. sauce. A little lime and orange juice also go a long way in adding some sweetness.
How to cook jerk chicken wings
There are a few ways you can cook your Jamaican jerk wings:
- Grilling (gets a great smokey flavor on your wings)
- Air Fry (that gets you a crispy skin).
- Bake (A healthier option, and a great one if you don’t have a grill, or air fryer).
I chose to air fry mine because it was easier for me, and I made a tiny batch.
Check out my recipe for Jamaican jerk wings below, and try it out!Print
Jamaican Jerk Wings
- Total Time: 2 hours 50 minutes
- Yield: 20 wings 1x
- Diet: Diabetic
Classic jerk marinade with extra flavor, done in the oven.
- 2 cup soy sauce
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- 2 oz Orange Juice
- 2 tbsp avocado oil + extra if needed
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 3 lbs chicken wings
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Scotch bonnet chiles, roughly chopped, with seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Browning sauce
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
1. Marinate your chicken in the wet marinade for 1 hour. Discard excess marinade and pat the chicken dry. Let the chicken come to room temperature before cooking.
2. In a food processor, blend allspice, thyme, garlic, scotch bonnet, ginger, onion, nutmeg, paprika, and browning. It should form a paste consistency and be course.
3. Slather your chicken in the wet rub, and let marinade for an additional hour.
6. Heat your oven to 350ºF. Cook for 30 minutes, and then turn up your oven to 450ºF and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes, until wings come to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Enjoy your wings!
- I also air-fried this batch at 400ºF for 25 minutes in batches and it turned out great, and they were wonderful. but grilling them will always yield the best, smokey flavor and crispy skin. It’s worth the time!
- A meat thermometer will always yield the best results.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Jamaican
- Serving Size: 5 wings
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 4.1 g
- Sodium: 1758.4 mg
- Fat: 7.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.8 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 3.9 g
- Cholesterol: 7.3 mg
Keywords: jamaican jerk wings, jerk wings, jamaican jerk chicken
What temperature and how long would you suggest for making this in the oven?