The Houston Greek Festival is an exciting annual event that showcases greek food, wine, music, dance and culture. This was my first year to go and I had so much fun!
Photo courtesy of Houston Greek Festival
The festival itself is a huge undertaking and takes hundreds of dedicated volunteers to make sure everyone has a great time. The food is proudly and patiently prepared by church parishioners, the meals are made by hand using fresh, authentic ingredients.
Some of the offerings include souvlaki (shish-kabob), gyros, and lamb as well as vegetarian
options such as spanakopita (spinach puff pastry), tiropita (cheese puff pastry), dolmathes (stuffed grape leaves) and a traditional Greek salad. I also ended up with a lemonade that I was crazy about.
A delicious dinner plate from the festival
This year’s festival is the 23rd annual, and here’s what you can expect:
- Go Greek for a cause: Get FREE admission when you bring 3 canned goods for donation to the Houston Food Bank. The Fest also donates a portion of its proceeds to charity. Otherwise, tickets are $3 per person, or free for children 10 or younger.
- The Gourmet Grecian Menu features delicious, homemade meals & offers something for everyone.
- Meat lovers may savor souvlaki, gyros and lamb; Vegetarians will enjoy the Vegetarian dinner plate. Creatures of comfort will find an assortment of Greek pizzas and loaded Greek Fries.
- Save room for dessert! Try an assorted Greek pastry box to sample the region’s best sweets. Don’t miss the baklava ice cream sundae. (I can assure you, it’s worth it!)
- Sip imported Greek wines, beer and coffees (Greece is famous for their iced frappe drink)
- Get in the spirit with The Fest’s signature cocktail, the OPA-Rita, made with Ouzo.
- Award-winning wines made in Texas by Greek Orthodox monks at the Holy Archangels Monastery & Winery (meet them in person!)
- Mingle with Spartan warriors clad in their trademark bronze armor (called the Warriors of Greece, an award-winning living history reenactment group – Friday & Saturday).
- Get your Greek on to win cash and other prizes during Greek Trivia and a Greek dance contest
- Shop around in the pop-up market!
I hope you have a great time at the Houston Greek Festival! Check out my Instagram Houston Highlights for a peek at my time with Bryan at the festival. This year’s festival runs from Thursday, May 17 to Sunday, May 20..