I don’t know if you’ve been following along on Instagram and Twitter, but Bryan and I made the decision to embark on the Ketogenic Diet.
Having type 2 diabetes, I have to be so careful and calculated about my carbohydrate intake. I’m insulin resistant and sensitive to carbs.
Lately, any little bit has caused huge spikes, and I’ve been trying to switch up my diet for the next month or so to see if things get a little lower.
We decided to try the Ketogenic diet because it still allows us to eat things we like and really focuses on getting carbs out of our diet for a while so I have the best chance of getting my blood sugar down to normal ranges.
Keto focuses on getting your body into a state of ketosis – a metabolic state where your body is running on energy from fats, instead of energy from carbohydrates.
Though you’re producing ketones in this state, dietary ketones are different than Diabetic Ketoacidosis – which is an incredibly dangerous condition.
This diet has the potential for some great recipes – one of which is creamy, sausage and kale soup (some say Zuppa Toscana).
I was really pleased with the way this came out. Not only was it yummy, and a bit spicy, it didn’t make me feel like I was missing out on anything. It also incorporated some of my favorite things (I’m not a liar when I say I LOVE kale. I really do).
Check out the recipe below, and let me know if you’ve tried Keto, and what other recipes I should try!Print
Keto Diet: Creamy Sausage and Kale Soup
A creamy, easy soup that’ works well on Ketogenic & low carb diets.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 12 Cups 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds spicy ground sausage
- 4 cups of kale
- 4 cups of cauliflower chopped
- 1/4 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 cups of Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 Basil leaves
- Turn on your oven and heat your pan with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add in your onions and garlic, brown them until they are fragrant.
- Dump in your sausage and cook it all the way through, and until it’s golden in color, about 15-20 minutes, make sure to season your sausage at this point.
- Add in the chicken stock until it covers the sausage, onions and garlic.
- Then add in your heavy cream, and stir.
- Drop in your cauliflower and kale, and cover for 20 more minutes until the cauliflower is soft in texture.
- Spoon into a bowl, and enjoy, piping hot. Add some grated parmesan if you must!
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 271
- Sugar: 0
- Fat: 21g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Protein: 15g
Keywords: Zuppa Toscano, Sausage and Kale Soup