You guys know I’m a lover of all sorts of chicken wings.
I signed up for a Butcherbox subscription earlier this year because I was aiming to eat more at home, and spend way less at the grocery store.
Using ButcherBox has helped me achieve those goals, but it has also made me much more inventive with my food choices.
ButcherBox often has deals for members, and so I caught the “free chicken wings for life” promotion, which was so awesome!
There are so many wings I could make, but I wanted to try my hand at my favorite: Garlic Parmesan.
They’re low carb, high protein, and absolutely delicious!
How to make garlic parmesan wings in your air fryer
Traditionally, air fryer wings crisp up when coated in oil. They’re still juicy, but I wanted to get really flavorful, plump and tender wings.
I used a traditional method: buttermilk marinade.
Marinating your wings in buttermilk does two things. One, it breaks down the wings and tenderizes them, so that they are fall-off-the-bone delicious.
Second, it lends itself to enhancing the flavor of the chicken.
I first marinate my chicken in buttermilk, salt, pepper, pakprika, garlic powder, smashed garlic cloves, and diced onion.
You can do this from two hours, to overnight. The longer the better of course. Your chicken will be both flavorful and tender.
Then, once they’re marinated, you pat them dry, give them a toss in an oil of your choice (avocado for me), and toss them into the air fryer.
Why use an air fryer?
Air fryers circulate hot air to cook food that you might otherwise cook in excess oil. It’s a healthier cooking method that gets a similar result to deep frying without all the extra calories and fat.
Here’s the recipe below!Print
These air fried wings are made without excess fat and calories. They’re still absolutely delicious.
For the marinade
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper (you can also use black pepper).
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons of salt
For Air Frying:
- 2lbs of chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or any oil you’d like, olive oil works wonderfully)
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
Dried parsley (for garnish)
Your favorite dipping sauce
- Start by adding your spice mixture to your buttermilk. Stir until well incorporated.
- Add your chicken into the marinade and let it do its thing for anywhere from 2-24 hours (the longer you do this, the more flavorful and tender your chicken will be.
- Once the chicken has marinated, drain the marinade, and pat your chicken completely dry (this step helps achieve crispy skin).
- In a new bowl, coat your chicken in oil.
- Mix together your grated parmesan and garlic powder, and toss your chicken wings in the mixture.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes (or to your air fryer‘s specs).
- Top with parsley and enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce.
Your air fryer probably has specs on how to best cook certain foods. Be sure to refer to its guide for that. They all work slightly differently.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken wings, wings, air fryer wings, air fryer chicken wings, garlic parmesan wings